Dynamics GP Migration to Business Central – is now the time?
This month's webinar will be about the number one most asked question regarding Dynamics GP. Is this the right time to move your data to the cloud? This webinar is for companies that currently have GP but are looking for a cloud solution and would like to know more about the Dynamics GP to Business Central migration process. Join this webinar to learn about the following:
● What is the future of Dynamics GP look like?
● Is it time to move to Business Central?
● What is involved in a migration to Business Central?
● What's the cost?
- Migration Services
Date: Wednesday September 23, 2020
Time: 1:00PM - 1:30PM EST
Transition to Cloud Dynamics GP
Dynamics GP is a mature and robust ERP solution. However, over time, many clients have grown tired of maintaining servers, performing upgrades, etc. These clients are content on the system and have no reason to find another ERP platform. These clients will often transition their existing Dynamics GP environment to the cloud. WebSan is currently the largest cloud Dynamics GP partner in the country, providing hosting services for many organizations, large and small. We have a standard migration process to seamlessly transition your Dynamics GP environment to the cloud.
In the cloud, customers benefit from complimentary upgrades and backups. Security is also administered on a complimentary basis. Further, our full suite of services allows users to expand into areas of automation such as EDI or other integrations, opening up many possibilities that do not exist today. Further, upgraded environments allow customers to take advantage of Power BI & workflows capabilities that Microsoft has recently deployed.
This is a feature that allows you to connect your Dynamics GP on-premise data to the cloud through Dynamics 365 Business Central. This option is great for those clients that want to leverage cloud technologies while maintaining their software in on-premise. This has been a focus on Microsoft over the past year as users start to leverage the Power Platform. The Intelligent Edge allows customers to bridge between their current system and Dynamics 365 Business Central by bringing data into D365. Data is synchronized in the Intelligent Cloud on Azure. Data can then be used with all of D365’s built-in capabilities such as AI, Machine Learning, data storage through the Common Data Service, and the Power Platform (Power Apps, Flow, Power BI).
This is great for those looking to leverage cloud solutions but not ready to transition their Dynamics GP environment.
Implement Dynamics 365 Business Central
A comprehensive ERP, D365 is ever-expanding its abilities. Dynamics 365 Business Central allows a for a single solution to run your business. It seamlessly connects to other Dynamic 365 applications, such as retail, field service, CRM, etc. This is design for those looking to fully transition to the cloud as all data is stored on Azure.
WebSan offers fixed fee implementation plans for clients looking to make this transition (see http://www.websan.com/solutions/microsoft-dynamics-365-business-central).
Dynamics GP continues to thrive, both for on-premise and cloud customers. Microsoft Dynamics GP is a mature solution with over 45,000 customers around the world, so it isn’t going away anytime soon. However, Dynamics GP isn’t immune from Microsoft’s consistent push towards the cloud.
So why move GP to the cloud?
Here are some reasons why GP customers move to the cloud:
- They need to invest in new hardware to support new versions of GP
- They are concerned about backups, recovery, security and 24/7 remote access
- They are not current with Microsoft on your maintenance and want to add users/capabilities to the system
- They are looking for better access to information/reporting (GP2018 required for Power BI)
So what can we expect in future releases of Dynamics GP?
First, Dynamics GP releases and development will continue from Microsoft. The current roadmap is projecting two additional version releases. This clearly indicates a commitment by Microsoft considering these are typically released every two years. Customers should expect various user community requested enhancements and fixes.
Second, the Intelligent Edge will continue to be a focus for Microsoft as they allow for experimentation with AI learning, Power Apps, and the Common Data Service options used within Dynamics 365.
Management Reporter provides the flexibility of consolidating financial data across one or multiple organizations in one single report. This report includes a summary (consolidated) report for all companies as well as the option to view a report for each of the companies that you are using on the consolidation.
The simplest method to create a consolidation of all companies is by using a reporting tree. A reporting tree is an optional “building block” that allows you to list all companies to be consolidated. Once the report is generated you will have the option to select any company from the reporting node on the consolidated report.
Viewing Companies Side by Side
The second option for consolidated reports is to show each company side by side. This can also be achieved by defining a reporting tree with all companies and using that reporting tree to assign each company on separate columns.
Consolidated currency translation
Management Reporter also offers the ability to consolidate different currencies in on the report, where users can select at real-time any currency previously setup in each Dynamics GP company. The following items must be set up to achieve currency translation:
The Fixed Assets module for Dynamics GP helps your business improve its asset management by automating the accounting processes surrounding your property. You can use Fixed Asset Management, to set up, enter, and maintain asset records. When necessary, you can add insurance and user-defined information and create additional records for each asset, including investment tax credit information and lease information.
Simplify the depreciation process with modification, recalculation, averaging, comparison and projection capabilities.
Capture asset information in multiple books, allowing depreciation to be tracked under different methods for alternative reporting needs.
Provides accurate and accessible information – capture changes necessary for tax and financial reporting purposes.
Improve efficiency by automatically connecting with Intercompany, Purchasing and General Ledger modules
The Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) can be implemented in your Microsoft Dynamics GP environment very quickly. This add-on contains a large assortment of 25+ free tools for any business wanting to increase their business productivity. These modules are listed below;
- Database Disabler – Allows the administrator to block users from logging into a company. The company will not appear in the list of companies when logging in to Microsoft Dynamics GP until the administrator unblocks the database.
- Shortcuts Copy – Use this tool to copy the shortcuts options from one user to another user.
- Update User Date – The Update User Date utility automatically updates the user data in Microsoft Dynamics GP to the next date at midnight each day. This is useful if Microsoft Dynamics GP is left running overnight.
- Menu Inquiry Utility – Shows windows that are enabled and visible in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Account Modifier / Combiner – Change a single or multiple account number(s) into new account numbers. Combine all of the open and historical data from two account numbers into one number or combine a range of numbers.
- Checkbook Modifier – Allows the change of an existing checkbook ID to a new checkbook ID.
- Fiscal Period Modifier – Use the Fiscal Period Modifier to change fiscal year definitions and reset data in the open and history tables. See detailed instructions before using this tool. Clicking on Setup Periods button removes previous year’s definitions.
- GL Master Triggers – Keep the account numbers in sync between company databases. Add an account number to one database and it automatically replicates to other assigned databases.
- 1099 Modifier – If the vendor was not set up as a 1099 vendor, can be used to update the records.
- PM Master Triggers – Adds new vendors to additional selected company databases.
- Vendor Combiner – Use the Vendor Combiner tool to combine a current vendor ID with another existing vendor ID.
- Vendor Modifier – Use the Modifier tool to change an existing vendor ID or range of vendors to a new vendor ID. All work, open and history transactions are moved to the vendor ID.
- Vendor Name Modifier – Use this tool to change the vendor name.
- Minimum PO\Receipt Number – Stops Microsoft Dynamics GP from looking backward for unused document numbers.
- POP Cost Defaulter – Defaults the current cost or the standard cost from the item master card instead of from the Item Vendors record.
- Customer Combiner – Use this tool to change or combine customer numbers without any loss of work, open or historical records.
- Customer Modifier – Change the customer name on all work, open and historical records.
- Customer Name Modifier – The Update User Date utility automatically updates the user data in Microsoft Dynamics GP to the next date at midnight each day. This is useful if Microsoft Dynamics GP is left running overnight.
- Receivables Transaction Unapply – Reverses the effect of applying payments, credit memos or returns, even if there are discounts and/or write-offs associated with the document.
- Customer Item Lookup – See prior purchases made by a customer during the sales order entry process.
- SOP PO Number Check – Checks to see if a Customer PO number has already been entered on a sales transaction.
- Inventory Site Modifier / Combiner – Change or combine the current Site / Location Code to a new code without losing any data.
- Item Number Combiner – Combine two items number that were setup for the same item and both were used.
- Item Description Modifier – Change item descriptions on all previously created transactions – including sales orders and purchase orders.
- Item Number Modifier – Change an item number to a new item number.
- Certified Payroll Report – Use the Certified Payroll Report with US Payroll to add a project number to employees’ hourly transactions and track them on a per project basis. This tool will also capture information posted from the Timesheet Entry window in Project Accounting Timesheet Entry. Print these transactions on a weekly report and view employees, departments, job titles and pay codes by project.
- Employee Modifier – This tool allows the user to change an existing employee ID to a new employee ID.
- Fixed Asset Modifier – Change or combine the current Site / Location Code to a new code without losing any data.
- Doc Date Verify – Prevents entry into an undefined fiscal period.
- Default Add Item POP / SOP – Forces new items in the Sales Transaction Entry, Purchase Order Entry, Receivings Transaction Entry and Purchasing Invoice Entry windows to be added as items and not as non-inventory items
- Company Copy – This tool allows the setup and report option information from one company to be copied to another company.
In today’s digital banking system, transferring EFT or ACH files to/from your bank has become a key element of any modern business. The EFT for Payables module for Dynamics GP will give your company the ability to automate this process entirely within your existing Dynamics GP environment. Proper utilization of the EFT for Payables module will increase productivity and reduce manual cheque processing.
- Learn more about the EFT for Payables module for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Eliminate costs associated with postage
- Stakeholder has grown accustomed to-the convenience of this immediate payment method.
- Further, it is more environmentally friendly.
- More secure than a cheque payment.
Learn how to read the data from Microsoft Dynamics GP in Power BI. In this webinar, we’ll be sharing great reporting ideas for Dynamics GP and demo our favorite dashboards. The dashboards that will be presented in this webinar are:
- Financials Dashboard
- Sales Dashboard
- Project Accounting Dashboard
Date: Wednesday September 26, 2018
Time: 2:30PM - 3:00PM EST
Out of the many reasons employees choose to leave a company, majority are likely to point back to a problem with how a company decides to manage their employees. According to Forbes, three common reasons that have motivated employees to quit is if the employee feels intellectually stifled, they lack autonomy, and/or they feel as if though their work is unrecognized and unappreciated. If you’re worried about losing your best and brightest, see how ERP software implementation can help you address some of these concerns.
Dealing with unchallenged employees
Repetitive tasks such as entering order entries or entering General Ledger Reconciliation and Collections can be labour intensive, creating unmotivated and unhappy employees. With built in automation functions however, these tasks can be completed in minutes, allowing your employee to use their time more productively and apply their efforts to more worthwhile tasks.
Lack of autonomy
To micromanage or to establish various security protocols that hinders your employee’s ability to do their jobs can easily make an employee feel as if they aren’t trusted to make basic decisions in their work. ERP software such as Dynamics GP resolves this issue through employee portals, which allows employees rights to access necessary information and to communicate with other members of the team for help or assistance.
Failure to Recognize Good Work
Commending an employee for a job well done can go a long way. Instead of neglecting the work that employees have put in, managers should acknowledge when an employee has gone above and beyond to complete their assigned tasks. Now with ERP software, managers and supervisors can track the progress of every phase of a project and establish benchmarks. By tracking a project step by step, managers can review when specific tasks have been completed and by which employee, allowing them to appropriately praise or reprimand an employee for the quality of their work.
WebSan is a multi-award winning Microsoft Partner with over 15 years of experience. If you’re unsure as to whether you’re ready to have us as your Microsoft Dynamics cloud hosting partner, why not click here and see what our clients have to say about us?
Heimdall Sham, Digital Content Creator, WebSan Solutions Inc., a 2014 Ontario Business Achievement Award Winner for Service Excellence
One of the most notable features of the new release of Microsoft Dynamics GP is an improved version of the web client. The web client allows users to access some of the system’s capabilities on-the-go, and gives IT professionals the deployment option of providing users with a URL to log into the system. Below, we list the most significant improvements and how GP is now easier to use than ever before.
1. Integrated search functionality
Apart from finding the window or the report that you need, the integrated search functionality will bring up a list of all the open windows and reports that are relevant to your search term and criteria. With this feature, users no longer need to remember where a specific window is. By typing the window name into the search field, the web client will immediately hyperlink to it.
2. Support for a variety of web browsers and mobile devices
The web client, which was previously only accessible using Silverlight and Microsoft browsers, can now be run through iPad, android tablets, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari, since it uses the latest release of the universally accepted hypertext markup language – HTML 5.
3. Enhanced user experience
The user interface has been refreshed, with the banner now enabling users to log in and log out and indicate which company they’re logged into. The new web client also has the distinctive feel of Office 365 with the Office banner.
Linz Tan, Web Marketing Assistant, WebSan Solutions Inc. a 2014 Ontario Business Achievement Award Winner for Service Excellence